Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sometimes life has a few bumps

I was talking with my son this afternoon after an exceptionally difficult day at work. He too had an uncomfortable day and was facing a bleak semester at college. His problems at school combined with my daughter's problems adjusting to dorm life and other high visibility issues led him to remark that we were cursed.

Cursed. I'd often suggested that out of frustration over a situation I had no control over but I had never heard the phrase coming from my son with such veracity and conviction. I took a few moments to recall the blessings we had and all that we stood to lose. If we were cursed I'd have no job, no car, no prospects for the future. My son and I reflected more upon the obstacles we each were facing over the next few months and the challenges my daughter was struggling with and let it all hang out over that small coffee table.

I imparted a simple observation after digesting all of our maudlin commentary; the roads of our lives had come upon several bumps and pot holes. We were navigating a tough stretch of life right now and needed to be steady and take things one day at a time until we could find a smooth stretch of road. Smoother road was ahead, I just didn't know where it was or how long the bumps would last.

The bumps we're experiencing now will no doubt make us appreciate the inevitable smooth stretch of pavement we'd both eventually encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment